Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Vikings' OTA First Day Twitter Cull

Hello all,

I've decided that since I don't live in Minnesota, am not a member of the press, and have no insider information about the team, I will instead talk about what all those who DO know about the team say on twitter.  After all, it is public information!

According to the Vikings' official website, OTAs 1-3 will be from May 28-30, OTAs 4-6 from June 4-6, and OTAs 7-10 from June 10-13, with a mandatory mini-camp from June 18-20.

Apparently Joe Webb was quite impressive at the OTA today, and his hands didn't look as soft as they have previously.  (What a noob I must be when I didn't even know soft hands were a bad thing in football!  But they never talk about it on television, and the only players I really knew at all were highschool ones.)  It was also pointed out that four WR slots are pretty much taken: Greg Jennings, Cordarelle Patterson, Jarius Wright, and Jerome Simpson are all considered gimmes.  So Webb is going to have to fight like a wildcat (hehe) to get that last slot.  My father insists that he'd be better as a TE, but considering we barely use Rudolph as it is, I kind of doubt that. 

Shameless plug: Leslie Frazier, I beg of you, USE Kyle Rudolph!!

Peterson and gay marriage: this is a country with free speech and he's certainly entitled to his opinion.  But considering his statements, I'm glad he has little or no interest in political speeches or being a Kluwe 2.0.

Kluwe: I'm glad he's got a job, but the Raiders!  Best of luck buddy, you'll always be a Viking to me!

Jared Allen is a bad boy: the only player who didn't turn up for OTAs today!  Still, one out of about a hundred (don't we have 80+ players reporting to us right now?) isn't terribly bad.  What I haven't figured out is if Coradelle Patterson was there, since I believe he hasn't signed yet, and I don't think you go to OTAs if you haven't signed.  I'm dying to see how he does with the playbook!

Practice jerseys: they're really rather ugly.  I miss classic jerseys.  I miss the gold piping around the numbers.  I know it's a silly thing to whine about - winning is far more important - but this "modern" crap is really crappy.

MLB: I'm happy Erin Henderson is getting a good shot, but I have to admit I'm secretly rooting hardcore for Audie Cole.  Interested to see how our 7th rounder Michael Mauti does, since more than one guy online has expressed the opinion the Vikings got a major steal picking him where we did.  Of course, I did want us to pick up Urlacher (such a great player, I wouldn't make a fuss about him switching loyalties the way I did about Favre), but he's put a lid on that.  Of course, if his knees are as bad as the rumor mill says, it's only right he get to sit back and enjoy what body he's got left!

Quarterback: backup Matt Cassel aside, my interest is almost wholly centered on Ponder.  I won't call this a make-or-break year for him, because that's an exaggeration, but it's time, with all these weapons around him, for him to wake up and start using them. 

Sophomores: I'm a firm believer in the sophomore slump, and I'm dying to see how Kalil and Walsh especially turn out this year.  Childs is more interesting, since he didn't get to play, and of course the injury he's coming back from is so serious we have no idea what's going to happen this season.  I'm glad he's had a whole season to learn the playbook.

Finally: quite a lot of our players seem to be big basketball fans.  Their tweets are pretty funny!  I don't even need to watch the games, as I get all sorts of different views from the ones I've found and followed.  Hope they're enjoying a nice quiet night in their rooms tonight watching the game, and stay nice and hydrated for another practice tomorrow!

SKOL

No comments:

Post a Comment