Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pondering Ponder

So being a grad student is not particularly conducive to writing three different blogs...and a thesis...and all the other crap I have to do every day...

Anyway. The Christian Ponder era is officially ushered into the Minnesota Vikings franchise!

Originally when we picked up McNabb I hated it because I was materially convinced that no good could come of liaisons with the dastardly Iggles, although I grudgingly admitted it can do a great deal of harm to a rookie's confidence and his overall adjustment to the NFL if he's thrown right into the brouhaha.

As it turns out I was RIGHT about not wanting McNabb on the team (I usually love being right, but not when it means we're 1-5) and McNabb was, shall we say...less than a perfect fit for our team. According to word on the street, though, he has every intention of staying around and mentoring Ponder, which frankly impresses me. That shows a LOT of character, especially when you lost to the freaking Chiefs and he almost beat the Packers.

Anyway. Christian Ponder.
I didn't get to see the game live because I was at work (it ended just when my shift was over) but I've seen replays, highlights, and devoured Twitter and First&Skol for details.

I like what I see - he's calm, spreads the ball around, and hasn't actually done too much in the time-honored rookie tradition of forcing a pass late over the middle so it can be intercepted by any half-assed corner.
Admittedly he did get picked off twice by Woodson, but that's Woodson. Anyone can (and probably has been) picked off by that crazy bastard! Honestly, I hate Woodson, but if we had D players on fantasy football I'd totally draft his ass.

I never was impressed with Ponder at FSU - just look up The Soak At The Doak and you'll see why - but to be honest, he didn't have a lot going in the o-line and receiver departments there. At Minnesota there IS an o-line, although it certainly has its moments, only slightly relieved by the departure of Bryant McKinnie... But we DO have Percy Harvin, Kyle Rudolph and Visanthe Shiancoe who have all pulled off some pretty amazing catches (and let's be honest, they've shown some horrible stinkers too), not to mention we have a certain workhorse star runningback named Adrian Peterson who forces defenses to stay honest.

And I was incredibly impressed by his organizing unofficial mini-camps while the lockout was on so that he could stay in football shape and get to know his receivers. That relieved me a lot, because, well, as a Florida fan I hate FSU and was shocked that someone we beat so handily (in the pouring rain) was picked #12 overall (I was hoping for Prince Amukamara)...well I am VERY happy and relieved to say "Good job!" to Speilman. Clearly he saw something in Ponder that I totally missed, what with the fact he got picked off by our MLB, Brandon Spikes in the very first drive of the second half at the Soak.

I thought throwing Ponder to the wolves also known as the Green Bay Packers was a terrible idea (I wanted him in at the second half), but once again I was wrong, because the man showed poise, determination, and guts.

Oh, and he knew how to throw the football. After all, that's what quarterbacks are for!

No comments:

Post a Comment