Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Quick Draft Synopsis

Hello all!

I meant to have a super-fancy draft update, complete with names, pictures, and stats, but somehow time got away from me again.  Don't feel bad, coming in second place to my thesis isn't bad when you consider that bathing, eating, and sleeping are also all tied for second place!

Since I have to leave for work soon, here's a very quick take on our draft and what I think of it:


1 - Matt Kalil, OT, Southern California (6-7, 306)
1 - Harrison Smith, S, Notre Dame (6-2, 213)
3 - Josh Robinson, CB, Central Florida (5-10, 199)
4 - Jarius Wright, WR, Arkansas (5-10, 196)
4 - Rhett Ellison, TE, Southern California (6-5, 251)
4 - Greg Childs, WR, Arkansas (6-3, 219)
5 - Robert Blanton, DB, Notre Dame (6-1, 208)
6 - Blair Walsh, K, Georgia (5-9, 187)
7 - Audie Cole, OLB, North Carolina State (6-4, 246)
7 - Trevor Guyton, DT, California (6-3, 285)

1. Matt Kalil: I was praying for him, I was posting on my favorite Vikings board (http://firstandskol.freeforums.org/index.php) constantly extolling his virtues and what he'd do for Ponder, and when we traded down a spot my heart stopped beating for a good thirty seconds.  Of course, when we ended up getting him anyway, I bounced all over my apartment, had a triumphant swig of my beer and felt a rosy glow of satisfaction that Rick Spielman had finally done what I wanted him to do.

2. Harrison Smith: I was dubious about trading back up to get him (and my father has denounced trading up for him as rank idiocy, as he was sure Smith would still be there in the second round), but I like what tape I've seen of him, and goodness only knows the only way our secondary could have been worse last season is if I were on it!  (In other news, I'm leaving off the knee braces today, but I'm keeping the ankle brace on.)

3. Josh Robinson: What can I say, as a Florida Gator I scoffed at him, but he really isn't a bad player, and I'm glad Patrick Brown will have another Golden Knight around - they can compete against each other, and the one thing I know for sure about football is that competition (for a spot, between old teammates, between old rivals, etc) will improve the play come gametime!

4. Jarius Wright: I'm not 100% crazy about this pick.  As a Gator I've never respected Arkansas much, and I seem to remember Wright having a case of the dropsies.  I hope either I've mixed him up with someone else, or that coming to the Vikings and having to compete against the likes of Percy Harvin and work with Adrian Peterson and Christian Ponder brings out his fighting spirit.

5. Rhett Ellison: I don't know much about him, but I am praying this means that those two-TE sets we were hoping so much for a few years back finally materialize!!!  Especially since Kyle Rudolph is around - I'm in LOVE with his play - some truly fantastic catches last season!!

6. Greg Childs: Another Arky WR!  I like the idea of the Vikings starting to run four-wides, especially if they mix it up with two-TE sets.  Is that what Frazier is going for?  Time will tell I suppose.

7. Robert Blanton: Notre Dame makes me laugh, but I'm so glad we got a DB.  Honestly, I'm torn between our "most needful of improvement" spot being DB, CB, or O-line.  Let's hope Blanton steps up and becomes the blue-chip player we need him to be.

8. Blair Walsh: First let me say, I'm heartbroken Longwell is gone, because he was SUCH a class act for us, and a loyal member of the franchise.  That said, we certainly are in rebuilding mode, and I'd rather clean house now rather than later.  Walsh seems to be a good kicker - he attempted something like 10 kicks over 50 yards last year and only made one of them, but he made the other 40 FGs he attempted, (if I remember the statline correctly) so I'm happy with that.

9. Audie Cole: I am SO excited that we got Cole, and such a bargain to get him where we did!  My cousin-in-law is an NC State alum, and I have learned not to cheer or bet against the Wolfpack, because they have an astonishing propensity to win for a team of that caliber.  

10. Trevor Guyton: Once again, I don't know much about him (SEC! SEC! SEC!) but I'm happy that he's around to compete for the DT position.  Competition ALWAYS improves play.  Seriously, I should just make that this blog's tagline or something.

Okay, that's all for now, or I'll be late for work.  More later on positions of need and whatever camp updates I can find!

No comments:

Post a Comment