Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Quick Take

Hey all,  I'm still pretty busy (thesis...sigh) but I wanted to post a couple thoughts I've had about what's happened so far this week.

1. Percy Harvin: in the last week of May, he and Adrian Peterson were running a race up a hill to show off to the media how dedicated they were to turn the team around...now, not even three weeks later, he's "disgruntled" about something - no one but he and Frazier seem to know what - and is suggesting a holdout is possible!!
To be honest, he's not paid all that much for a #1 WR - I believe his base salary was $900,000 last year, $1,000,000 this year, and something similar for the two years after that on his rookie contract.  If money is all that's the issue, Frazier&co need to do something about it and FAST.  We do not need dissent and anger on this team, and if threatening a holdout is unhealthy, so is underpaying your best players.
I'm assuming it's not his health, although I'd be mad if the media wouldn't leave me alone about some stupid bone spurs in my shoulder too, so I can't imagine what else it would be.  At Florida, he was super-dedicated to learning the playbook, and would always work to learn a new system as best he could, so I can't imagine the staff changeover is the problem here.

2. Jasper Brinkley: apparently there are still issues with his surgically repaired hip, which really bothers me, because I wanted this to be his season!  Hopefully the summer will be long enough for his body to get itself together, and he'll be able to hit the ground running come Week 1.

3. Adrian Peterson: being watched very carefully by the training staff, and fighting as hard as he can to improve.  I saw some pictures posted today by Tom Pelissero, and it was reassuring to see action shots of him running and looking concentrated rather in pain.  According to Sugarman, they want him for the home opener on September 9th...I'm still not sure that'll happen, or if it's wise  Also finally saw a pic of McLeod Bethel-Thompson, looks quite muscled, although his wearing #4 made me laugh.

4. Jared Allen: wants to make 25 sacks this year.  I LOVE my players to set awesome record-breaking goals!  Especially when they're Jared Allen and can totally do it.

5. Tight Ends: been showing up a LOT in twitter comments, blogs, and camp reports.  This makes me very happy - I've been absolutely dying for those two-TE sets we've been promised for years now.

Okay I'm done for now.  Time for the Big Bang Theory and some dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment