Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Twitter Talk 6/12/13

Hey all, back to business after a busy day of being excited over Kenechi Udezi! 

First, just wanted to mention the Minnesota Vikings and the Vikings Children's Fund hit the golf course today for another charity fundraiser.  Christian Ponder was quoted as saying it's easy for the players to turn up and play golf, and that it's really the people who paid to be there who deserve the credit, to which I say, well said Christian!  Still, I imagine people wouldn't be quite as eager to pay to play if the Vikings didn't turn up (and over 30 did), so I take off my hat to the Vikings who went out to ensure a good turnout for the fans and a good payout for the kids.

As for the rumors that TO will be joining us, please give me a minute to laugh hysterically!  Anyone with even a single eye can see that what Spielman is gunning for is youth, and his sole nod to experience is fully fleshed out in Greg Jennings, who I might add, is doing an excellent job mentoring Cordarrelle Patterson already.

Chad Greenway has a little knee "thing".  I'm not fussed.  From what I can tell, he'd been experiencing some twinges in his knee, the team took a look, and he'll need scoping and "cleaning out".  Once that's done he'll be back in time for camp.  Leslie Frazier isn't worried, and that's good enough for me.

One thing that did catch my eye was Adrian Peterson being held out of practice yesterday.  Frazier glossed over it, but I'll take his word that it was nothing serious, until it happens again.  Peterson is a tough, healing machine, and right now I'm inclined to think Frazier wants to see how the newbies do without him around to distract the defense.  Which is pretty sensible if you ask me, we're going to have to rest the man every so often come football season!

Jacob Lacey (thumb) and John Sullivan (knee) are still being held out, but are expected to be ready for Mankato and the preseason.  I hope their backups are taking this opportunity to catch the coaching staff's eye seriously.  Greg Childs is more iffy, I hear, but I'd rather the coaching staff insist he take his time and heal up right the first time rather than rushing him and having to deal with surgery/rehab all over again.
FA linebacker Nate Williams has had "minor ankle surgery" and will be out of the picture until Mankato opens as well.

Brandon Fusco (OG) has been taking some snaps under center in case Sullivan (C) doesn't return in time, which I think is a great idea, especially since he played center at Slippery Rock (where is this college by the way?  With a name like that, I'm dying to check it out!), and it'll give our other right guards an opportunity to butt heads...hopefully not literally, considering the new tackling guidelines.

Greg Jennings was absent yesterday, but Frazier said he's, "just absent"  with a "personal issue" so I'm hoping that means he just needed a day off (family stuff maybe?) and there are absolutely no injuries involved.  I'm pretty sure he played golf today, so if that is the case, then we don't need to worry about his ankles, or the rest of his anatomy.  Frazier also praised his work ethic which just about made me dance around the room - JUST what we needed, a veteran WR who is happy to mentor and sets a good example by doing what he does naturally!  If it weren't a weekday, I'd totally crack open a beer to celebrate! 

Frazier also mentioned Chris Cook is doing well on the field and has grown as a person (hallelujah!), and he seems quite optimistic about his future as a leader and role model for our young guys.  Let's hope Cook can escape nasty injuries this year!

Other teams/Off Topic:
The Redskins have signed WR Donte Stallworth.  Of course!
Apparently Tim Tebow will wear #5 for the Patriots.  I didn't really think Mallet would give up #15, lets see if Tebow can make 5 work for him.


Tomorrow (Thursday) will be the Vikings' 10th and last OTA before a 3 day minicamp starts next week, so here's to hoping we get some more good news to take us through the weekend! 
SKOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment